Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Gabby's second gift

Pretty soon after finding out I was pregnant, actually within the same week, we had to tell the world. My pregnancy with Colin, as stated before, was flawless.... I was 25. I was still "young". What did we have to be afraid of?

Mark and I put our heads together and went straight to work. He ordered me a shirt online...
and we invited his mom's family over for dinner. It took them a second, but when they finally realized what the shirt meant the tears and smiles came all over again. Phone calls went to Grandma and everything felt just right.
We then saw his dad's side of the family the following day, and as Mark showed them the picture "Hey, look at the shirt I got for Kelly"... it took them a minute until it all sank in.
Everyone was happy....and we were over the moon
We went in for our first appointment with the OBGYN... the same one who delivered Colin 5/12 years prior, and although we didn't expect to see much on an ultrasound, there she was!!!!
And her heartbeat just thumping away. It was such a moment of awe.... to see my little lima bean's heart just a fluttering, and especially when we didn't expect to see anything at all that day!
They told me to come in the following week to remeasure and check her heartbeat once more to make sure that everything was right on track.
Are you curious what Gabby's second gift could be?... it's something I never expected....
ASPARAGUS. That's right.... that green stick of a vegetable. You know, I've always said that you cook somewhat like your mother when you become an adult. My mother made all sorts of vegetables.... and I mean all. Yes, even brussel sprouts and turnips. She never made asparagus, though.
For some reason, I craved asparagus and started researching how to prepare it.
And spicy food. Buffalo anything and Mexican galore. I'm not typically a spicy food type of person, but I couldn't get enough of the stuff.
And chocolate cake. In fact, one night I was so bothered by this craving for chocolate cake that I can't bear it anymore. I'd been salivating over the thought of it for hours until I finally broke down, went to the store, and walked out with cake mix and frosting. Now that I look back, it was pathetic how excited I was for slice of it. I was so excited I even took a picture of it baking.

I told you. Pathetic. As I was flipping them out of the pans the dog charged by and knocked me, which knocked the cake out of the pan and tore it. Yes, my emotional pregnant self broke down into tears.
Again, Mark gave me the look of "wow.... she's really lost it."

And so, Gab, thank you for showing your mommy how awesome asparagus is! Especially marinated in basalmic vinagrette and put on the grill.... fabulous.
Love,
Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment