Wednesday, November 16, 2011

answers.... at last! (and of course, some lab drama)

It wouldn't be my life if there wasn't some sort of dramatic thing that went wrong when I was trying to do something routine... such as having some blood drawn. I've said for years that for being roughly 80% Irish, I have the WORST luck over the tiniest things.... which leads to a lot of frustration.
Alas.....

I went to the lab to have my blood drawn for the thromobophilia panel. They told me it would take about 2 weeks for results. I called about a week and a half later, thinking that perhaps they had gotten the results in early.

They had some of the tests back.... negative for everything so far. Told me they'd call when the others came back.

A week later I hadn't heard anything. I contacted the office, who contacted the lab....... WHO LOST MY BLOODWORK. I was so upset. I'd been waiting for over 4 months to find out why all of this had been happening... I had a guy feeling I would find out with a blood clotting panel.... and they LOST my blood?

Back to the lab I went and started the whole process over again. This time they didn't lose my bloodwork.

And I was right about that gut feeling.... I tested positive for MTHFR..... heterozygous C677T.

So essentially, tiny blood clots were forming in the little bitty veins that were feeding my uterus..... cutting my babies off and eventually it killed them.

I was so happy to have an answer.......but so mad at my body. I was so angry for not having control of the thing that was killing my children. I also am not able to convert B12, B6, and folic acid on my own.....so they were deprived of that.

My doctor put me on vitamin supplements and told me to call him when I was pregnant. I asked him about taking Heparin or Lovenox ( a blood thinner given in the form of injections to women in pregnancy with the same diagnosis) and he said no, and that if I miscarried again that he'd consider it.

That answer didn't sit well with me. I had made an appointment with another doctor for a second opinion, and went in to see him.

Right off the bat, I felt totally at ease. He was so easy to talk to, was willing to take a more aggresive approach to battle the MTHFR, and assured me that he would do everything in his power to help us have a baby. It was the most assured and comfortable I had ever felt with any medical professional, much less in the past several months.

We did an ultrasound of my ovaries a few weeks later and they looked perfect. Ripe, plump, and ready to be fertilized. : ) He gave us the go ahead to try again.

I felt so confident that cycle. Again, nearly took us to the poor house over pregnancy tests..... but things didn't work out that month.

No comments:

Post a Comment